All of the cabinetry in the house- the kitchen and all four bathrooms- consists of heavy, custom, flat-front doors with a v channel cut down the length for a bit of groovy 70s style. They had all been covered with a gloppy latex paint by the time we bought the house. Replacing them completely was something we wanted to avoid. They were unattractive, sure, but they were also structurally sound and the cost to replace them was prohibitive. In the end we decided to reface them using veneer. I’ll share a few pictures of one of the bathrooms but will save a longer explanatory post on the details for when we finish up the kitchen.
This is what all the cabinet doors looked like before:
I filled in the grooves with wood putty then sanded the face smooth.I first painted the interior of the drawers and cabinets and the back side of the cabinet doors with a paint that would closely match the stain I used on the veneer. Then I applied veneer strips to the rails and stiles of the cabinets and also to the face of the doors. After that they got stained and sealed and put back together.
The veneer has its limitations, especially at the hands of an amateur such as myself. I have more to learn about making the edges look nicer.
Still, we consider the experiment to be a success. Our bathrooms were the trial run. Since we were pleased with the outcome, we are going to do the same thing to the kitchen cabinets. It turned out to be a great way to extend the life of these cabinets and save them from the landfill.